After the Cultural Revolution, I went to study at the Department of Foreign Languages at Wuhan University majoring in English literature in 1978. I received my bachelor's degree in 1982 and taught at Zhongnan University of Finance and Economics. I also studied at the Beijing Foreign Study University in 1983-1984. I was admitted to Texas A&M University in 1986 and received my master's degree in 1989. At the same year, I was admitted to Princeton University and received my PhD degree in international politics in 1994 and received the Mellon Dissertation Fellowship. I have been teaching with the University of Hawaiʻi since 1994.
- PhD, Politics, Princeton University, 1994
- MA, Politics, Princeton University, 1992
- MS, Sociology, Texas A&M University, 1989
- BA, English, Wuhan University, 1982
- POLS 110: Introduction to Political Science
- POLS 120: Introduction to World Politics
- POLS 130: Introduction to American Politics
- POLS 305: Global Politics/Comparative
- POLS 308: Chinese Political Economy
- POLS 315: Global Politics/International Relations
- POLS 379: Power in America
- POLS 640: Comparative Politics
- POLS 645 (Alpha): Politics and Development: Regional
- POLS 680: Asian and/or Pacific Politics
- POLS 780: Seminar: Politics of Regions
My main research interests include the dynamics of transition from central planning to markets, Chinese economic development, Chinese business, globalization in East Asia, comparative studies of businesses, and Asian entrepreneurship. I am also interested in the policies of aging in the Asia-Pacific region.
I am the founder of Education Advancement Fund International which won the 2006 Templeton Freedom Award top prize for its successful Small Loan Initiative for Rural Women in Xiangxi, China, a program to empower poor women through education and entrepreneurship. In the future, working with Iolani School, I plan to bring high school students from lower-income families to do study abroad. Working with the Department of Public Health, I will help to bring Hawai’i senior care services to the Asia-Pacific region.