Awards and Funding

The department actively encourages students to pursue educational assistance.

Departmental Awards

The department makes the following awards available to graduate students. Application deadlines and award amounts vary. For complete award information, award availability, requirements, and to apply, visit STAR Scholarships

  • Achievement Scholarships open to all MA and PhD students. The award may cover costs associated with but not limited to, tuition coverage, living expenses like rent and food, domestic and international travel, books, and other research expenditures.
  • The Harry Friedman Endowed Award is given to graduate students who present an outstanding research paper in Comparative Politics.
  • The Norman Meller Award is given to graduate students for meritorious academic achievement, especially for progress in the PhD program.
  • The Jorge Fernandes Memorial Fellowship and Award supports PhD students completing their dissertations (ABD status). The award may cover costs associated with but not limited to, travel, research, data collection, registration, and course fees.
  • The Glendon Schubert and James Neal Schubert Political Science Student Support Fund supports students studying public law, law and society, or biopolitics. The award may cover costs associated with attendance (i.e., tuition, books, fees, etc.) and student travel.

Additional Departmental Sources

The department offers additional funding sources, including:

  • Research Assistantships (RA) are occasionally available to enrolled or accepted POLS graduate students who do not have equivalent grants or awards from University or East-West Center. RA positions are not on-going and open only when resources are available.
  • Student Help Jobs involve working with a faculty member on research projects. The department announces the availability of these positions. Other part-time employment opportunities are accessible through the Mānoa Career Center.
  • Travel Funds are occasionally available in small amounts to support research and professional activities. When available, the department announces these awards.
  • Urgent Assistance Grants are occasionally available to POLS graduate students. Students may apply for small grants for specific purposes from the Department of Political Science Fund. This fund is made available through voluntary contributions of faculty, students, and others.

UH Sources

Pols 04